Thinking big when making small stuff in Java

Well. Lately my focus have been on a relativly small online game called A Tale in the Desert. And while I had been playing it I came up with a bunch of ideas for useful tools to have when playing the game.

It started out with making a tool to make mining in the game easier. Keeping track of what ore is in your ore cart either takes paper (I usually don’t have a lot of that at my computer) or a good deal of focus (I can’t really muster that when doing something with this little action) especially when doing alloies. So I set down to make an app that would not only make this easier. But at the same time enable me to do some statistics over the mines I use and what kind of output I was getting.

I quickly desided I wanted to make an app much like the stuff I do at work. I wanted a database to store the data, a persistence layer so I didn’t have to mess with SQL and it all abstracted from my GUI via facades. It was all rather quickly put together with HSQLDB, Hibernate and HibernateSynchornizer for Eclipse and the project was off the ground…

It quickly ground to a halt tho. Mining wasn’t really something I did a lot anyway. Instead I had begun to toy with making food in the game so a new module in the app was started. I wanted to investigate effects of ingredients and store what worked for me… It didn’t last long before I lost interest in that either =). Along the way I also started a resource management module that should make it easy to calculate how much base resources it would take to make more complex stuff… It kinda got off the ground and then died too.

But then I discovered a feature of the game that was either new or I had simply not noticed it before. Basically you can copy the contents of a chest (or other containers) into the clipboard in a format that is pretty easy to parse. Generally a problem with the game is figureing out where you have your stuff and how much you have of it distributed thourgout the gameworld. So a new project started: The Inventory Manager.

Getting it together was pretty quick. Most of the application was already in place. And it only required a little work to get the database worked out to store it in. And behold the first module of my app was functional and packed for deplyment on Mac OS X (and a little later on Windows too). So here is my first Code Divsion branded app in a long time: The ATitD Manager

Mac version:
http://www.codedivision.com/uploads/software/ATitDManager-osx-a1.sitx

Windows version:
http://www.codedivision.com/uploads/software/ATitDManager-win-a1.zip

No Trackback/Pingback

You can trackback from your own site.